[Typo of the day for librarians] Thansk* (for Thanks*)
Blogger
2014-10-16 16:48:13 UTC
I'm late on my blogging this week due to having stuffed myself into a
sleepy haze on Monday - Canada's Thanksgiving Day.

This got me wondering about the history of Thanksgiving in Canada, and I
stumbled across a little document on the Canadian Heritage website.

It turns out, Thanksgiving first occurred here in 1799--before we were even
officially a country. There was no set date until 1957, when a proclamation
determined it would be the second Monday in October.

What really tickled me, however, was seeing the reasons proclaimed for
holding Thanksgiving, which were often thanks for an abundant harvest, but
sometimes differed from year to year. On Wednesday, 6 Feb. 1833, it was
held for "Cessation of cholera," and on Monday, 15 April 1872, "For
restoration to health of HRH the Prince of Wales."

And then there's Thursday, 21 Apr. 1814, when Thanksgiving was held "For
glorious victories over our enemies." Looks like we didn't always live up
to the stereotype of friendly, polite, meek Canadians.

Leanne Olson

(Wild turkey photo by Gary M. Stoltz, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

--
Posted By Blogger to Typo of the day for librarians at 10/16/2014 09:48:00
AM

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners: autocat-request-JX7+OpRa80SJISurH+***@public.gmane.org
Search AUTOCAT archives: http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright

James Ruwaldt
2014-10-17 11:14:06 UTC
A quick look suggests the 1814 victory refers to the British victory of Napoleon. However, I notice it was in the middle of the War of 1812, which suggested the British were celebrating a premature victory, since the war lasted another year.

Jim

Jim Ruwaldt
Senior Library Technician
Guilford Technical Community College
601 High Point Rd.
P.O. Box 309
Jamestown, NC 27282
(336) 334-4822 ext. 50679

Leanne Olson
2014-10-17 14:07:57 UTC
Jim, I was wondering that myself when I wrote the post. Very curious.

My first thought was War of 1812, but you're right, it seems premature.
I took a look here and didn't see anything I'd think was a major victory
around April 21st:
http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/pages/52_1812_10.aspx

Napoleon makes sense too. Hmm! If anyone discovers the answer I'd love
to know.

Leanne

James Ruwaldt
2014-10-17 14:31:28 UTC
This was before Waterloo, which wasn't until the next year, but Napoleon abdicated on April 6, which may have been the reason for the Thanksgiving. I don't know if Britain celebrated an earlier Thanksgiving, with Canadians maybe only getting around to it on April 21, because it took that long for news of the abdication to get there. I also see Napoleon was exiled to Elba on April 11, after the Treaty of Fontainebleau, so I think we can be safe in saying it had something to do with Napoleon, however premature.

Goldfarb, Kathie
2014-10-17 14:22:36 UTC
Just ran it through Google. The Battle of New Orleans has been
considered the last battle of the War of 1812, but was fought Jan. 6,
1815. (checked because I remembered the song Battle of New Orleans :-)

Kathie

Kathleen Goldfarb
College of the Mainland Library
1900 Amburn Rd
Texas City, TX 77591
409 933 8202
kgoldfarb-***@public.gmane.org

Anderson, William
2014-10-17 16:00:04 UTC
New Orleans was fought after the signing of Treaty of Ghent (Dec. 24, 1814), though the U.S. Congress did not approve it to a month and a half later. There were a few small scale naval encounters even after that. News travelled slowly then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_War_of_1812

William Anderson
Catalog Librarian
Connecticut State Library
231 Capital Ave
Hartford CT 06106
Tel: (860) 757-6552
Email William.Anderson-***@public.gmane.org

"The opinions expressed above are solely those of the author, and are not to be considered official policy statements of the Connecticut State Library, the Executive Branch, any agency of the Connecticut State Government, or the person sitting next to me on the bus each morning. Such opinions may occasionally make friendly cooing noises at each other, but this is no absolute guarantee of congruence."

Ann Ryan
2014-10-18 01:24:55 UTC
Sender: AUTOCAT <AUTOCAT-***@public.gmane.org>
Comments: cc: Leanne Olson <lolson3-fnRb1ZSj/***@public.gmane.org>

Napoleon was defeated in early 1814 (Battle of Leipzig, 1813, invasion of
France 1814) - bringing to an end the War of the Sixth Coalition [I had no
idea that it was called this - I've just generally referred to the whole
thing as the Napoleonic Wars]
Napoleon abdicated on the 11th April 1814 - and was sent into exile.
[Of course, he soon escaped - and re-started the whole thing - but no one
knew this at the time. So there was indeed general rejoicing at the end of
more than a decade of European War]

Not sure about the rate of information transmission in the 19th Century -
would news from 11th April have made it to Canada by 21st of April?

Ann Ryan
Cataloguer
Wheelers
www.wheelers.co.nz
P +64 9 479 7979  EXT 222  F +64 9 479 7949
211 Wairau Rd, Glenfield
PO Box 305404, Triton Plaza,  Auckland 0757
annr-***@public.gmane.org

J. McRee Elrod
2014-10-18 16:19:46 UTC
Ann said:

>Not sure about the rate of information transmission in the 19th Century -
>would news from 11th April have made it to Canada by 21st of April?

No. News came by ship.

__ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod (mac-***@public.gmane.org)
{__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/

Anderson, William

Eric v.d. Luft
2014-10-20 19:33:05 UTC
> During the American Civil War, the CSS Alabama was in Alaskan waters hunting the whaling fleet. Captain Raphael Semmes caught a group of whalers, who had heard the news of the war's end (telegraph in a west coast port?) and were placidly resting at anchor. A whaling captain informed Semmes the war was over. Semmes was disinclined to believe a Yankee whaler, told him to abandon his ships, and promptly sunk the lot.

If this story is true, then Semmes was correct that the Yanks were
lying. The C.S.S. Alabama was lost to the U.S.S. Kearsarge off the coast
of France in 1864.

FWIW,

E.

Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S.
Owner, Gegensatz Press, North Syracuse, New York
<www.gegensatzpress.com>

Anderson, William

Lavey, Patrick
2014-10-17 22:19:30 UTC
Hello:

The British won victories over the military forces of the United States in the Canadian front of our War of 1812. The posting in the "Typo of the Day" may refer to the defeat and routing of U.S. forces which had invaded Canada. The conquest of Canadian territory was a goal of the United States in this war. I am not sure, but I think Canadians may celebrate this defense of their independence from the United States.

Patrick Lavey
Senior Cataloging Librarian
Hugh and Hazel Darling Law Library
UCLA School of Law