Best way to catalog geographic information?
Julie Huddle
2014-10-20 20:45:54 UTC
I will be starting an internship which will involve cataloging. I have been asked to help develop the best way to record the geographic coordinates of research items so that patrons can find resources about a geographic area of interest. After reading Bidney's 2010 article, I now have the following questions:
1. How difficult and effective would the official form of geographic terms be for this?
2. If I record the geographic coordinates of a resource, should I use the center or corner of the area covered?
3. Would using a geographic search interface such as MapHappy or Yahoo!Map be worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Julie
Bidney, M. M. (2010). Can Geographic Coordinates in the Catalog Record Be Useful? Journal of Map & Geography Libraries, 6(2), 140–150. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15420353.2010.492304
__________________
Julie Huddle
MLIS Candidate
University of Denver
jhuddle95-/***@public.gmane.org
__________________

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners: autocat-request-JX7+OpRa80SJISurH+***@public.gmane.org
Search AUTOCAT archives: http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright

J. McRee Elrod
2014-10-20 21:40:09 UTC
Post by Julie Huddle
I have been asked to help develop the best way to record the
geographic coordinates of research items so that patrons can find
resources about a geographic area = of interest.
Coordinates may be recorded for maps in 255. For most resources a
geographic area code may be entered in 043, e.g., 043 $an-us-md,
would be Maryland. Not all ILS allow limiting searches by 043.

Geographic name may be entered in 651 for subject searching by place,
e.g., 651 0 $aMaryland. Place names may also also entered in 65X$z,
e.g., 650 0 $aBuildings$zMaryland$zAnnapolis, and/or 651 0
$aAnnapolis (Md.) One some place names were divided directly, but now
all are indirect, i.e., $zState/Province/Country$zCity.

__ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod (mac-***@public.gmane.org)
{__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/

Mark K. Ehlert
2014-10-20 22:14:17 UTC
Post by J. McRee Elrod
Coordinates may be recorded for maps in 255. For most resources a
geographic area code may be entered in 043, e.g., 043 $an-us-md,
would be Maryland. Not all ILS allow limiting searches by 043.
Or a better shot at the 034 field, with its mathematical orientation. This
field can and does appear in bib and authority records.
--
Mark K. Ehlert Minitex
Coordinator University of Minnesota

the swift course of time." -- Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen
of Verona," Act I, scene iii

James Weinheimer
2014-10-21 12:24:20 UTC
Post by Julie Huddle
1. How difficult and effective would the official form of geographic terms be for this?
2. If I record the geographic coordinates of a resource, should I use the center or corner of the area covered?
3. Would using a geographic search interface such as MapHappy or Yahoo!Map be worth the trouble
This is the sort of problem where linked data should ride to the rescue.

Instead of adding coordinates to each and every bib record (a terrifying
notion!), those records should contain links to--*something else*--where
the coordinates exist. This would normally mean links from the bib
records to authority records, but unfortunately, this information does
not exist in many, many, many of our geographic records, e.g. there is
nothing in the record for Herculaneum (Extinct city)
http://lccn.loc.gov/sh85060358--one of the greatest archaeological sites
in Italy--nor in the record for the little town in New Mexico where I
grew up http://lccn.loc.gov/n80085226.

But all of this is in dbpedia, e.g. for the little town in New Mexico:
http://dbpedia.org/page/Socorro,_New_Mexico. The ultimate way it can
work can be seen in Wikipedia (where the dbpedia information comes from)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socorro,_New_Mexico.

Close to the top are the coordinates that you can click on
http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Socorro%2C_New_Mexico&params=34_3_42_N_106_53_58_W_region:US_type:city

and from here, there are maps of all kinds: weather, traffic, historic,
terrain, etc. etc. I personally like Night Lights.

So, I think the solution to your problem is to add links from authority
files to something(?!) and then see what can be built, using any of the
tools Wikipedia uses, or something new. As we see, none of this needs
MARC format and it may be more efficient to add links to dbpedia instead
of any library tools. Otherwise, it is a huge amount of work.

There is a lot of information available on the web that we can use to
help us.
--
James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l-***@public.gmane.org First Thus
http://blog.jweinheimer.net First Thus Facebook Page

Angela R Cope
2014-10-21 13:16:05 UTC
The best way to get an answer about cataloging cartographic resources is to post to Maps-L - the discussion list for map librarians. The experts there can address your questions (including Bidney herself).

https://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/maps-l.html

-Angie

Angie Cope
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
acope-***@public.gmane.org
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)
43°03'8"N 87°57'21"W

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/agslibrary

Susan Moore
2014-10-21 13:44:20 UTC
Julie,

Getting coordinate information into bibliographic records for non-map items
is an area of increasing interest. As a cataloger that has map cataloging
as a part of my duties, I find this exciting.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Julie Huddle <
Post by Julie Huddle
I will be starting an internship which will involve cataloging. I have
been asked to help develop the best way to record the geographic
coordinates of research items so that patrons can find resources about a
geographic area of interest. After reading Bidney's 2010 article, I now
1. How difficult and effective would the official form of geographic terms be for this?
I'd say using the official form of the term would be very effective. That's
the whole point of authority control, after all. If your geographic area
isn't in the name authority file, then I'd go the the U.S. Board for
Geographic Names (http://geonames.usgs.gov/). Here there are three links to
interfaces to search for the form of name. Two are hosted by the U.S.
Geological Survey (the one for domestic names and the one for Antarctic
names) and the other is hosted by the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence
Agency (for the rest of the world). These sites are helpful because they
give you the form of name and coordinates.

Post by Julie Huddle
center or corner of the area covered?
If you are giving the coordinates for a spot in the area, you should give
the center point (or at least as close to center as possible). When you
search for a city at the NGA site, they give you the center point of the
city.

3. Would using a geographic search interface such as MapHappy or Yahoo!Map
Post by Julie Huddle
be worth the trouble?
I've not used these so I don't know if they would be worth the effort.

Susan Moore
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50613

deb cady
2014-10-21 15:27:48 UTC
Hi Julie,

I just tried the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency search. I didn't find it all that intuitive or user friendly. I tried searching Paris (France).

I don't see how linking will necessarily work if you are trying to set up information that can be indexed and searched. So I have these questions.

1) How are you expecting researchers to use these coordinates? To search your own geographic collections or outside geographic collections?

2) What is the coverage of the material being cataloged? Is it local, regional, national or international? Local names may not be official but may be of far more use in regards to searching - particularly when you are dealing with structures or small locations as opposed to large geographic features.
[see note from USGS 1 Oct 2014: As a result of reprioritized budgets and resources, the decision has been made to suspend the maintenance of some administrative (i.e. cultural or manmade) feature names in The National Map and to discontinue the maintenance of all administrative names through the GNIS public interface at this site (http://geonames.usgs.gov).]

3) How many items are you planning on doing this for? If you assume 3 minutes for each item to go to website to either confirm the geographic coordinates or get a link to a resource, how many minutes are you looking at and is it worth the investment in time?

4) What fields does your ILS index? I worked on one system in Australia that didn't retrieve series titles under a title search! Just because it's a valid MARC field doesn't mean your ILS will actually treat it the way you expect.

5) What coordinates are you using? WGS84 or GEO URI or both? You may need to add a subfield for the style of coordinates.

WGS8448° 51′ 24.12″ N, 2° 21′ 2.88″ E GEO URI 48.8567, 2.3508

http://lo-f.at/glahn/2011/09/geo-uri---location-as-a-resource.html

6) If you do want to use a link, what sort of a link will you make and will you need to work with Systems to make it happen? ie. do you just want to send them to Wikipedia or GeoHack search screen and let them manually input data? Or do you want a link that takes inputs the coordinate data for them and then takes them directly to an information page? The second will almost certainly require systems assistance but users may expect it because they are used to retrieving e-journals by links containing ISSNs.

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/ vs

http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?params=48.8567_N_2.3508_E

and, of course,

7) RDA or AACR2? RDA may have some funky rules I'm not aware of. for example, requiring use of the Geo URI as its more metadata - y

Wikipedia will give you WGS coordinates for famous buildings as well as cities and geographic features. And, if you click on the coordinate, it will send you to GeoHack which will give you the URI. It may also give you official names for local landmarks. For example: Bidwell Mansion in Chico CA is officially Bidwell Mansion State Historical Park but nobody uses the official name locally. So Wikipedia may be your most time efficient choice, depending on the answers above.

deb

Marcy Bidney
2014-10-21 15:05:53 UTC
Julie - sounds like an exciting project and one that I've been advocating for for a long time and I will always say that using a geographic search interface is totally worth the time. You can see this at work for digital map collections at www.oldmapsonline.org

If it is a book or other type of material about or published/written in a particular place, using the center point is best. If it is a map it is best to use the coordinates on all four corners of the map, particularly for functionality in the future in any forthcoming search interface that may have a geographic component.

I'd say James is on the right path - there is no need to actually enter the actual coordinates into the record anymore, you can simply link to some authority file which will provide the data for you. James mentions linking to dpedia, which is a good resource but for cartographic names it is better to use GeoNames http://www.geonames.org/ or the Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/tgn/

Good luck!
Marcy