Property stamping a cloth bag?
Schneider, Judith A
2014-10-22 12:15:44 UTC
I need to catalog a heavy cotton/canvas bag with stuff inside. How do I mark this as library property? Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is a Sharpie, but I'm hoping someone knows a better way.

Thanks,

Judy Schneider
US GAO
Applied Research & Methods
Library Services
schneiderj-/***@public.gmane.org
202-512-4304

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners: autocat-request-JX7+OpRa80SJISurH+***@public.gmane.org
Search AUTOCAT archives: http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright

Miranda Howard
2014-10-22 12:27:11 UTC
A thin Sharpie is a very good way to mark this.

I need to catalog a heavy cotton/canvas bag with stuff inside. How do
I mark this as library property? Any suggestions? The only thing I
can think of is a Sharpie, but I'm hoping someone knows a better
way.
Thanks,
Judy Schneider
US GAO
Applied Research & Methods
Library Services
202-512-4304
AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright
Miranda Howard, MALS, MA
Professor
Head of Technical Services
University Libraries
Western Michigan University
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5353
(269) 387-5166
fax: (269) 387-5193

Anderman, Lynea
2014-10-22 12:40:40 UTC
An ultra fine sharpie will allow a finer marking and perhaps a neater one. Sharpie also puts out a laundry marker pen and the width is in between the widths of the fine and ultra fine, though closer to the fine.

Lynea
*** Wearing sensible shoes proudly since 1971! ***
________________________________

Joel Hahn
2014-10-22 13:57:28 UTC
If the bag has handles, another option is to create a laminated ownership
tag and then use a heavy-duty ziptie to attach it to one of the handles. If
a barcode is needed, that can be put on the tag before it's laminated.

Joel Hahn
Database Manager
Cooperative Computer Services
Arlington Heights, IL
jhahn-***@public.gmane.org

Mollie Thompson
2014-10-22 14:34:25 UTC
Hi Judy,

I work at a small art university and have this problem frequently.

Are you planning to put this piece into the circulating collection or the non-circulating collection?

If you are placing it into the circulating collection you could put it in a plastic zip lock bag and stick the call # and property information on the bag. We also sometimes put these pieces in a box, or an envelope so all parts are together. If you can label each individual part within the piece that is ideal with a call # and/or title of the piece so the part(s) can be returned to the bag easily. Or, you could put a dummy book on the shelf with directions to please visit the circulation desk to retrieve this item to try and prevent pieces going astray.

Often we place these odd pieces into the reference or special collection/archives depending on what it is and the value of the piece. If you are putting the piece in your special collection/archives you could put property information inside the canvas bag. We use archival tabs for our special collection to stick the call #, barcode and property information on.

Sometimes we get very creative and attach the information using string like a price tag if it in the special collection to not destroy the piece!

I try to make sure I have all parts of the piece listed in the 300 and sometimes have to use 500 to cover abnormalities. I have been known to stick labels on the piece to remind patrons to return all items and make circulation notes in the ILS to remind circulation staff to make sure all pieces are there before signing out and when returned!

Mollie Thompson
Library Technician
NSCAD University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

P.S. I am new to ACAT and finding it very helpful and have a good laugh here and there! Working in a small library it can be challenging to get cataloguing advice when there are two cataloguers. It is so nice to know there is help out there from other cataloguers:)

Ryan Tamares
2014-10-22 15:11:41 UTC
If you want to use a library property rubber stamp for the bag, you can use
StazOn -brand ink, available from many brick-and-mortar art/craft supply
stores as well as online--the ink is permanent and durable (this ink will
even work on glass and metal).

Best,

Ryan

Ryan Tamares
Catalog Librarian
Robert Crown Library -- Stanford Law School
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-8612
rtamares-***@public.gmane.org
(650) 724-6454

J. McRee Elrod
2014-10-22 17:04:30 UTC
Post by Schneider, Judith A
I need to catalog a heavy cotton/canvas bag with stuff inside.
I assume you would have a 300 $avarious pieces ;$cin bag ..., and a
505 listing contents. We use 338 $akit$2localcarrier utill such time
as RDA adds that.

How do I mark this as library property?

Could a black felt marker be used on the canvas? Craft stores have
plastic letter and number stencils, if you don't want to be freehand.

__ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod (mac-***@public.gmane.org)
{__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/