What does Bad character (1). mean?
Esther Mandel
2012-08-16 19:00:23 UTC
I'm trying to update a level 3 record, and no matter what I do, it just says Bad character (1). I've replaced all the 1s, ls, and Is in the record, and it still says that. I can't save it, I can't export it, I'm not sure I can get out of the program! Any advice?

Esther Mandel
Cataloger
Sarasota County Public Libraries
Sarasota, Florida, USA
emandel-***@public.gmane.org

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners: autocat-request-JX7+OpRa80SJISurH+***@public.gmane.org
Search AUTOCAT archives: http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright

Mark Ehlert
2012-08-16 19:03:17 UTC
Post by Esther Mandel
I'm trying to update a level 3 record, and no matter what I do, it just says Bad character (1). I've replaced all the 1s, ls, and Is in the record, and it still says that. I can't save it, I can't export it, I'm not sure I can get out of the program! Any advice?
Where are you seeing this message? Your local catalog? Connexion?
--
Mark K. Ehlert Minitex
Coordinator University of Minnesota

Mary Mastraccio
2012-08-16 19:07:43 UTC
Without seeing the actual record and knowing the setting (is this OCLC) it is hard to tell what the problem is but your efforts to replace characters are on the right track. You might try replacing the first character in the field.

Mary L. Mastraccio
ALA-ALCTS-CaMMS Past-Chair
Cataloging & Authorities Manager
MARCIVE, Inc.
San Antonio, TX 78265
1-800-531-7678

Kathy Glennan
2012-08-16 19:29:48 UTC
I had this problem recently in the Connexion client. There was a stray, apparently blank, character at the end of one variable field. I suggest going to the end of each line and hitting the backspace key to eliminate any unseen spaces that might be causing this problem.

Kathy

Kathy Glennan
Head, Special Resources Cataloging / Music Cataloger
University of Maryland

Williams, Ann
2012-08-16 19:53:42 UTC
I find this happens when I paste in contents and there's some sort of character like and apostrophe.

Ann Williams

Esther Mandel